So both my entries for “Forgotten Heroes” were finished and ready for painting, well let’s get on with that then shall we, Oh and I threw in an extra figure I’d received recently when I ordered so more paint (as stocks were running low of a couple of colours) but I’ll go into this more once we get to him.
Starting with “Dick” his palette was really pretty simple, so after his spraying of black undercoat, I gave his overcoat (that’s confusing isn’t it!) a coat (a lot of coats here isn’t there!) of chocolate brown with a drop of black in it to darken it, this was then highlighted with just chocolate brown and then again with more chocolate brown mixed with saddle (one of my new paints!). Next I added his wrists (well the only bits of his arms you can see) in copper and his eyes in white. I then added the pupils to his eyes, this was a bit of a pain as they really needed to be square, and so after they were in place I went back with the white again and tried to square then off a bit. For this “skin” I mixed some silver with some mid grey (yes Matt I’ve now got a light grey! It says mid grey on the pot, but to be honest if it was much lighter it’d be white!), anyway this was then painted onto his face and hands, I didn’t highlight here as the original has a pretty “flat” look to it. After checking the DVD I determined that his gun was black so I left it black, just adding some dark grey highlights here and there (oh and also on his hat band that was also black), and a little chocolate brown and leather to the pistol grip. That just left his hat which I did in more saddle highlighted with some leather brown. Pretty simple stuff really.
Mary next, now she and the other miniature I painted this week were originally undercoated in white primer, as I knew her clothing was going to be predominantly white (of course). So after this as usual I painted in her gun and dry-brushed this with some chainmail, then her dress, belts and boots were undercoated in coffee, before successive highlights of cream and then white were layered over this. The side panels of her dress were then added in dark red with bright red highlights, and her gun “butt’s” and knife hilt were painted chocolate brown with leather highlights on the handles and saddle on the barrel grip. Now her stockings were undercoated in mid grey then washed/glazed in watered down white, and then her flesh was given an undercoat of Red Indian flesh, mixed with some pale flesh and dwarf flesh to get the right tone. Then after I had added her lips in pink burgundy and her eyes in white and black with a little navy blue around them the highlight to her flesh was added in European flesh. That just left her hair which I’d left black but added a few highlights of dark grey too.
Lastly this week I painted up a present for my lovely wife that as I said above I’d added to the order of paint I’d received a couple of weeks back, this was “Runcorn” the Unicorn from the Lucid Eye productions “Toon Realms” range. I did him in classic fantasy Unicorn colours so again working from a white primer I mixed some leather brown with coffee and a little fusia and used this in all the creases and folds in his skin before dry-brushing him in successive coats of coffee, cream and white, I also added some pale flesh around his muzzle and his teeth and mouth in white and dark red respectively. His mane and tail were fusia with lilac and lavender highlights, and his horn was Eurasian flesh with highlights of ECW buff (as you can see I used a few of my new paints here). And his hooves were chocolate brown with more Eurasian flesh forming the highlights here.
All three figures were given a coat of “Quickshade” strongtone and the bases on the two “upright” figures had their bases done in my usual manner of, chocolate brown, dry-brushed with khaki, and then again with coffee. Areas were then picked out with scenic green before said areas were flocked with some Javis “Summer Mix” hairy grass. A final spray coat of matt varnish and they were finished.
“Runcorn” on the other hand had his base painted with chocolate brown then heavily dry-brushed with scenic green, then I picked out the toadstools and flowers I’d made with a little left over “greenstuff” while working on Mr “Spanner”, with Eurasian flesh, coffee, dark red, bright red and cream on the toadstools, and porcelain blue, light blue citrus orange and lemon yellow on the flowers. The base was then flocked with Javis pasture green flock and he too was matt varnished. He’s sitting in my wife’s cabinet now alongside the “shed” I made for last year’s “Season of Scenery Challenge”.
So that’s both of my “Forgotten Heroes” figures finished, but I still have one more entry to post before the end of the month, so I’ll be reliving my youth this week and playing with toy cars!
Till next time, stay safe and cheers Roger.