Just a quickie this time, as I am currently between “Challenge months”, I thought I’d bolster my “Forge Father” unit by adding in some more weapons options, so it was out with the box of sprues and four bodies/ legs/heads were cut away along with two “heavy machine guns and a couple of rocket launchers (these are Hailstorm Autocannons and Missile Launchers respectively, to give them there official names, I think), While I was sticking these together (always one of my favourite pastimes (not!)) I noticed that the “running” legs option could be tilted back to give a “foot up on something” stance, thus giving another different pose, but as this didn’t really suit the upper pose of any of the heavier weapons I cut off a few more bits and using an open faced helmed head too made up (in my opinion) a rather “cool” looking chap firing single handed. Talking of different helmet options I used the “half open option on another figure and the rocket launchers had their own specific option too.
Anyway once they were all stuck together, I covered their bases in a few layers of basing sand and added some “cat litter” rocks (especially under the foot of the leaning back chap), then it was out for a coat of matt black courtesy of the rattle can and brush, ready for painting.
As with all my other “Forge Fathers” I began by dry-brushing the guns, and the backpacks weapon with chainmail, then all of their armour was painted in German field grey, and highlighted with dark turquoise. The bits of under clothing that can be seen were then undercoated with dark grey, and mid grey was used to highlight these areas. The gloves, belts and the odd other area were then painted in chocolate brown before being highlighted with leather. When it came time to add the eyes on their helmets I first added took some “Tamiya” green (this is quite a dark green) and painted the larger lenses on the half helmet, then as usual I used light green before I added a dot or pupil with some “Fluorescent” light green. I also added lights with these colours to their weapons and backpacks. The tiny amounts of visible flesh on the two faces were then added in European flesh with more of the same lightened with a little pale flesh, and one got a chocolate brown beard highlighted with chestnut and the other a sand highlighted with lemon yellow one. Lastly I added some accoutrements to their armour with a little copper with bronze highlights. Basically exactly the same as before, the only addition being a small pipe on the Launcher that was added in
As usual they were then given a brush coat of “Quickshade” (strong tone) and once dry had their bases painted to match the last lot of Dead Zone figures, in so much as they were painted chocolate brown, dry-brushed with khaki, and again with coffee, then they got a spray coat of matt varnish spray. So another five “Forge Father” figures ready to hit the table, slow but reasonably steady progress through my “Dead Zone” mountain, hopefully I can make another (small) dent in it next month as part of the “Zom’tober” challenge, but for now I have a couple of my own challenge figures that need some paint chucked at them!
So till next time, Cheers Roger.