Because I certainly made a meal of them, I am of course talking about my “Slum Blocks” by “Table Top Combat”, I am however pleased (really pleased) to announce that they are now finished, well the half of the original ten that I actually started anyway. As you may remember, and I fully understand if you don’t a lots happened since then, when last we saw these MDF boxes, they were assembled but not in any way painted. So this week’s mission was to pull my bl**dy finger out and get them painted before the end of Dave’s “Season of Scenery Challenge” finished at the end of this month.
So first job was to take them outside for a spraying with some matt black so as I could get on with the painting proper. Now luckily I still a bit of paint left in tester pots I used last time, so I took some of the “Warm Pewter” and added a little black to darken it a bit and slapped this all over the pieces, this was followed once again by dry-brushes of “Chic Shadow” and “Frosted Steel”, a few places I also painted in light blue or pink burgundy, and the doors, window bars, tread-plate rooves, steps and verandas I just dry-brushed chainmail over the black. I also added quite a lot of chevrons” here and there in orange mixed with citrus orange, with just citrus orange highlights, if I’m honest these were probably the reason I’d been putting of painting these things, and guess what they turned out to be just as much fun to do as I’d expected!
I dug the old GW transfers again but also printed out some signs off of the internet so stuck a few of these on as well, before I attacked the edges with some chestnut brown (the closest thing I still have to rust!), and gave everything a coat of thinned matt black in the form of a wash. Once dry I picked out the odd light here and there along with a couple of dots on the door frames as controls, in light green (day-glow) and did a couple of larger lights in vert green again with the light green over the top, before going back over the rusty areas this time with orange to signify fresh rust, If you remember I got a little carried away with this last time, so I had to make these as decrepit as them. Lastly I lightly flicked a little khaki and coffee up the bottom and top edges for a bit of weathering, and they were done.
I pulled out my original “Slum Blocks” and added them in to the mix, along with some of the scatter scenery I painted the other week for the final picture. I have to admit I’m glad to see the back of these (well at least until next year when I should really do the rest of them!), Now I can get back to painting some figures, hooray!! That just leaves me to thank Dave for coming up with this
torture challenge and congratulations to everyone who took part and added to their “table top vistas”.
So till next time, sit back and enjoy the scenery, cheers Roger.