Back to the 10mm Wild West again this week, fliting from one scale and genre to another has really helped with stopping either, getting stale or enthusiasm dropping off. Anyway I thought I’d set to work on getting the “Settlers” done, now these were already based and undercoated so it was just a case of touching up the black where they had had their unfortunate accident (see post “One little, Two little, Three Little…” to read about this), and I could get on with the painting.
I decided the best way to do this rather than try and paint all of them in one go was to break them down into smaller groups, so I started with the “womenfolk”, there were nine of these, five with rifles and five with “babies”. Rather than go into the painting of each individual figure I’ll just give a general overview of the colours used. These were porcelain blue highlighted with pale blue, sand highlighted with lemon yellow, lupin highlighted with lavender, or pink burgundy highlighted with Polish crimson. Flesh was either European flesh highlighted with pale flesh or chocolate brown highlighted with the same with a touch of cream added. Coffee and cream were used on any parts that were to be white linen, and the rifles were chocolate brown with butternut highlights and chainmail along the barrels.
Then it was the turn of the cowboys, these were again broken down into three groups of the three different poses (not counting the mount one). But as they were all painted in exactly the same manner I’ll cover them all together here. Again working from a black base their clothes were either chocolate brown with a highlight made by taking more chocolate brown and adding a little coffee, blue grey with light blue highlights, coffee with cream highlights, dark red with pink burgundy highlights or just left black with dark grey highlights. Boots and a couple of waistcoats, were either black with dark grey highlights or leather brown over chocolate brown. More chocolate brown was used on the rifles with butternut highlights, and a strip of chainmail along the barrels. Flesh and hair was done the same as the ladies above, and finally the odd neckerchief in either porcelain blue or bright red finished them off.
The two mounted cowboys (I’m not sure how I’m going to handle these chaps in the rules I’m writing yet!), were painted in the same manner as the others, and their horses were painted black with dark grey highlights and chocolate brown with chestnut highlights, a couple of socks and nose bases in coffee and cream and bed rolls in light grey (mixed from black and white, as I haven’t actually got a light grey, so must buy one soon!), completed these too. While I was painting this little lot I also completed the lone Indian that I’d missed when the rest of his “tribe” were pigmented!
All of these were then coated on “Quickshade” (Strongtone) and once dry they had their bases painted to match the Indians, that is Musket brown dry-brushed with a layer of sand and then coffee. As usual a final spray over with some matt varnish complete them.
T-shirt challenge time again and this week it’s the turn of one of my all-time favorite characters to make an appearance…”Skeletor” well there had to be a “Masters of the Universe” connection in here somewhere as often at this time of year I’d be into full “March’ters of the Universe” mode. This is actually the “Funko Pop” version of the master of Snake Mountain and was bought in a sale at our local Comic Book Store over in Liverpool a couple of years back. Though not a “Funko” collector myself I really like this T-shirt and apparently it’s a limited edition!! (How limited I don’t know though, probably just a few hundred thousand).😉
Till next time, stay safe, and cheers Roger.