As some of you may already know myself and a couple of other “Bloggers” (Simon and Keith) have decided that September will be “Dungeon Saga” month, in as much as we will be seeing how many of the figures from the “Mantic Games” board game of the same name we can get painted in the thirty days before October (or “Zomtober” but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here). Now I have heaped slightly more pressure on myself, as these are not actually my figures as such, but are the property of my eldest son, Myles, and I have promised him that they will all be finished by Christmas (sounds easy but I have other projects to do before then as well). To this end I have formulated a plan of action, and divided the figures up into bite-sized groups, that I hope to paint up one each week. However on reviewing my prospective timetable I noticed that there was no way I was going to be able to fit in all the pieces of furniture and set-dressing items that are included in the box, these consist of…
1x Dwarven throne
1x Weapons rack
1x Tomb/ alter
10x Doors of various size/ design
So as these are not technically figures I thought I would bend the rules a little and see if I could get these done before the official start of the challenge. Now though there is not an awful lot of awkward detail work on these pieces there are quite a lot of them, so I had to put in a “bit of a shift” to get then finished. Anyway here comes the boring bit where I detail the colours I used, so in no particular order (well a bit of order) I started by spraying everything black, then dry-brushed anything that looked like it would be made of stone with successive, ever less heavy coats of dark grey, mid grey and a final light dry-brush “dusting” of white. Then everything that looked like it was made of wood was given a coat of chocolate brown, before being dry-brushed with leather brown (I know I usually use butternut here, but thought the leather looked better on such large areas). I then added the detail “scroll work”, locks and hinges on the doors with some chainmail, this was also used on the tables, chests and barrels though only as a highlight after I had re-painted in the banding in black. The Dwarven throne, I added some details to, with some bronze, highlighted with shinning god. This was also used to add some details to the weapons rack, along with some heraldic splashed of colour to the faces of the shields.
The well had the rope attached to its bucket done in coffee with cream highlights, and then the water was added by applying a really thick layer of deep turquoise to the area in question, and then while this was still wet, getting a blob of aquamarine on the tip of a small brush and “dragging” it in a spiral through this. I also added some moss green and stone green highlights up the inner stonework and inner top edge of the well.
The lectern proved a bit of a pain as the soft plastic it is made of kept “curling” at the bottom so it wouldn’t sit flat properly, so in the end I glued it to a mantic 20mm square base (upside down, so the circular indentation was underneath), and then painted it to match how I plan to do the stone work on the figures bases. Turning to the bookcases I added the books in either dark red, pink burgundy, deep bronze green, navy blue or royal blue, and painted the pages at the edges that could be seen with some cream. There are some small bottles on the one bookcase so these were added in deep turquoise with “Tamiya” green (sorry not a particularly descriptive name I’m afraid, it’s a bottle green if that helps) highlights. Some bronze tops finished these off. There is also an open (spell?)book, so the pages in this were painted coffee then highlighted with cream and the cover was done in dark red with pink burgundy highlights, and the little details in the corners of the cover were added in more bronze. I then added some “squiggly” lines and a pentacle to the pages to represent text, and that was that. Everything was then given a coat of Quickshade (this worked particularly well on the stonework), and then a spray over with some matt varnish sealed the deal as it were. So that’s the easy bit done (ha ha), now onto the figures themselves….
Now just before I go, a few people have asked if I could post up a group shot of all my “Wasteland” figures, and never one to disappoint (except on the Batrep front of course), here you are….