“There are those who believe that the people outside the city are just as good as those privileged enough to live inside it, with access to medicine and clean water, and are raising an army to force Cowley and his cronies to either submit to their demands or to gain access by force. They call themselves the WPRA”.
“Wasteland people’s repatriation army…we just call them the gooder’s”.
“Short for Do’gooder’s”.
So we come to the second little group figures for my “Into the Wasteland” project, “The Gooders” a bunch of misfits out to save the world (whether it wants saving or not!), led by the charismatic “Ham” Tyler, a self-styled “Robin Hood” of the apocalypse this little group has big plans, but very little idea or chance of achieving them, often causing more harm than good they mean well.
After pulling out four more of my “Future Warrior” figures by “Moonraker Miniatures”, I added in the “free” Mad Max figure I got with my last order from “Copplestone Castings” to make up the unit, they were all based up on “tuppences” and had their bases built up with filler before they were given a coat of matt black. Now before I go any further can I just say that these chaps were considerably harder to paint than lasts weeks as there was much less uniformity to their attire, so rather than write a short novel listing how each one was painted I will just cover some of the basic painting and list the other colours used (mainly so you can see how many there were!). So I began as always by dry-brushing all the “metal bits” with chainmail, and then added the “camo” with a base of deep bronze green, then splodges of pink burgundy and coffee, were painted over the top of this, from then on various parts were picked out with either the colours listed below or mixes of two or more of them (often as highlights). So in no particular order, I used… Pink Burgundy, Orange, Dark Red, Bright Red, Flesh tone 7, Copper, Light Blue, Coffee, Cream, European Flesh, Pale Flesh, Olive Green, Chestnut, Stone Green, Dark Grey, Light Grey, Blue Grey, Light Blue, Royal Blue, Porcelain Blue, Aquamarine, Chocolate Brown, Leather Brown, Butternut, Dark Sand, Sand, Khaki, Bright Gold, White, Black and Day-glow Green. This was followed by a seemingly never ending round of “touching up” as I went round and round the figures correcting any mistakes or inadvertent paint splodges, and more than one case of bits I’d forgotten to paint in the first place, so much so that as I needed to get the “Quickshade” on them by Wednesday night, to let this dry enough to flock them on Friday (otherwise they can be too tacky, and the hairy grass will stick to the figures, something that happened a bit last week), it was half past eleven before I was happy enough with them to let the “shading” ensue!
As well as the figures above I also decided to finish something I started many moons ago, that I thought would also be appropriate for this project. I bought the oil drum (along with several others) from “Scotia Grendel” I think and knocked up the stand it’s perched upon from some left over bits of balsa I had about, and that’s as far as it ever got…until now. I started by drilling a hole in the lower side of the top, and after gluing a short piece of florists wire into it built up the tap around this with some greenstuff, then it was based up on a “Heroscape” token (I use these to denote objective markers), before it too was sprayed black. I then “stippled” royal blue around all the areas that weren’t going to be rusted. After this I mixed some royal blue and blue grey on a Pringles lid and stippled again, to show where it had faded in the sun. Next rust was stippled on the other areas along with a touch of chainmail. The stand was then added in chocolate brown and butternut, before it too was “Quichshaded” After this was dry more rust, chainmail and a bit of orange was again stippled over the rusty areas. I also added a little clump of rubberised moss at the one of the back legs to add a little interest to the base. I was going to paint “Gas” on the top, but decided that this might limit its usefulness, as now it could contain anything from water to fertilizer, dependent upon the scenario.
This and all the figures were then based in my normal fashion, and after this a final coat of matt varnish sealed the deal as it were. I think I’ll add a few “star” characters to my cast next week, so till then…