The trouble with the “random painting generator” is just that, it’s random, so when I tossed the coins of fate again this week Lancelot came up (no problem there) but then the toss of the old D30 came up seventeen again, and this meant another group of Matty’s Orks would be making their way onto my painting table.
Box17 – (3x 28mm Games Workshop Orks)
Now the more eagle eyed amongst you will of course notice from the picture to the right that there are in fact four “greenskins” passing beneath my brush this week, this is because I decided to get the rest of the “Jumpboyz” (still don’t know if this is the proper name for them) finished, and it turned out that there were four rocket packs left (how this works out I have no idea, as seven seems such an odd number, were there three or four in a pack, either way it doesn’t work out!!). Ahyhoo’ I dug out four Orks to wear the darn things (as you can see one of then already had his fitted at some point). The commander type figure I think must have gone with the three I painted last time as he has a distinctly “Germanic” feel to him but the other three are just random “Ork boyz”, so I would have to try and tie them all together with the painting. So let’s get on with that…
I began the painting in my usual way with all the figures being dry-brushed within an inch of their lives with some chainmail paint, then another lighter dry-brush of rust was applied over this. Then taking my dark grey I painted the trousers on the three “grunts” along with the one helmet, and the uniform and cap on the commander. All these areas were then highlighted with some light grey. Next to try and tie them in with the last lot I decided to add the same camouflage pattern as I did last time, so the cap and jacket of the heavy gunner along with the sleeves (as this is all you can see) of the other two were first painted earth brown, then “splodges” of sap green and then my darker sand colour were painted over the top of this. Finally I again added some “dots” in light green to add a little highlight. Then their skin was added, this was done by laying down a base coat of deep bronze green and then after their eyes were added in white and bright red highlights of goblin green were painted over this. The two with open mouths had the insides of these painted dark red and then highlights of bright red were added before I painted in the teeth with some cream. All the belts and boots were next, most I did in chocolate brown with leather highlights, but a couple of bits I did in black with dark grey. The rocket packs were also begun with a drybrush of chainmail and rust and after I added dark red/bright red to the tops of the rockets, it was just a case of picking out some details in luminous green and blue, and adding a bit of graffiti in white.
They were then all given a coat of “Quickshade” and after this the bases were painted in scenic brown before being dry-brushed in scenic green, still no flocking (I still don’t like this as they don’t look finished to my eye, but hey’ho the joys of painting for someone else), lastly they were spray coated with matt varnish.
Well next week is March, and so I should be doing another round of “March’sters of the Universe” He-man figures, but as I believe I’ll be on my own for this round (Jez is busy with his Dr Who stuff at the moment), I’m not sure whether to go ahead or not, we’ll see how I feel.
So till next week, cheers Roger.