Two single figure boxes this time and the chance to jump on a bandwagon with a couple of other bloggers into the bargain! Another double tails result meant figures from “Galahad’s” list yet again. Then the old D30 came up thirteen and as this was a single figure I rolled again and got twenty six which had gone, but turning to Lancelot’s list this luckily had another single figure (gosh this is complicated, are you keeping up?) anyway it makes sense to me and eventually I came up with the following figures to paint…
Box 26- (Doctor Who figure of William Hartnell, (From Lancelot))
This rather nice little set came from Maidenhead Miniatures and was sent to me as a sample back in my “Valkyire” column days, I painted up a sister piece to this, a woman riding a large sabre toothed tiger back in January 2015* and the ladies are interchangeable (in fact I have three of the riders but only two animal mounts for them, so at some point I’ll have to source a “ride” for the third little lady), I decided to glue the rider together and mount her up on the bird before I began painting them, whether this was a good move or not I’m still not sure, but anyway after I’d cut out a cardboard base for them they were glued and “filler’ed” into place and as the base was a bit plain I added a couple of cat litter rocks. Then both she and the Doctor went out for a coat of matt black and I got down to adding a little colour. The body of the bird was first painted blue grey with the underside painted blue grey mixed with coffee, this was also run up its neck and then its face and wings were added in chestnut and dark red, all of these colours were painted at the same time with each area being blended into each other. Then its beak was added in citrus orange and blended in again. Once this was dry the beak was dry-brushed with lemon yellow. Turning then to its legs a base of butternut was painted over them before I mixed more butternut, orange and lemon yellow together and the resultant mix was then dry-brushed over the ridges on its legs. I then dry-brushed a mix of coffee and cream down its neck and down under its belly, After this I started on the saddle and reins, chocolate brown forming the base for these with leather highlights over the top of this.
If I was ever going to have a chance of finishing this ensemble by the end of the week I needed to crack on with the lady perched (no pun intended, I assure you) on the back of the feathered beastie, to this end I gave her flesh (and there was a lot of it!) a coat of flesh tone seven and though this came out rather “patchy” it did give a good base for my second coat which consisted of the same with a little European flesh added, I then added her eyes and the chocolate brown of her leather accessories and bow (the leather bits being highlighted in, well leather funnily enough). Then turning back to her flesh I mixed some European flesh and pale flesh and this was used to highlight these areas. Once dry I took my copper and painted all the “minimal” bits of armour she was wearing, and then highlighted these with some shinning gold, I also added her lips in pink burgundy. Hair next and a base of light sand was applied and though this was too pale for a base it made a good undercoat for the citrus orange I painted over it, then I added highlights in lemon yellow. Her bow and the shafts of the arrows were then dry-brushed with some butternut, the feathers on these along with the one in her hair and the grip on her bow were then undercoated in coffee with (you guessed it) cream highlights. The collar on the bird had some highlights added in dark red and bright red, and her “leafy” loin cloth was done in deep bronze green with olive highlights, the birds claws also got coffee talons at this point. Lastly I added a final drybrush of blue grey mixed with coffee over the feathers on the beasts back and a dry-brushed touch of pink burgundy to the red part of the wings.
Now turning to my Dr Who figure (in William Hartnell guise), was bought many moons ago by from a chap who was selling them mail order, and though I bought him in good faith I now believe he is a re-cast of an old Games Workshop figure. Though I guess I was young and stupid at the time to fall fowl of this and not report him for it, I honestly didn’t realize my mistake until it was way too late. So even though the detail is rather soft on him, any Dr Who is better than no Dr Who (unless it’s the new stuff, but we won’t get into that!), so it was a quick re-base and out for a coat of matt black with the big bird above. Then I began by painting his trousers in light grey, then added the checks on them in black (I’m not sure if these look right or not as the originals are much smaller checks, but I’ll live with it). His waistcoat then had an undercoat of butternut applied, and this mixed with some lemon yellow was used to highlight it. His collar was next this being touched in with a little cream. His hands and face were then painted in with an undercoat of continental flesh, and after his eyes were added, I highlighted this with the same with some pale flesh mixed in for good measure, I decided to add a tiny line of black across his mouth, then his hair was painted in cream and while it was still wet I dragged in a touch of dark grey, that just left his jacket, shoes and tie to be touched up in black before I mixed some very dark grey (dark grey and black) and added some highlights to these. Compared to the figures above he was a breeze to paint.
They then both had my quintessential slapping with a little Quickshade and then their bases were painted up to match their respective figure groups before they had a final spray coat of matt varnish. I’m rather pleased with how the pair of them came out, I wonder what I’ll get next…
Till then, cheers Roger.