2017 is here and it’s time for me to roll out my resolutions for this coming year, now one of the main reasons I started this blog in the first place was to give me the impetus to get my lead mountain painted and though it has helped me shift a reasonable portion of it I’ve decided this year to have a bit of a “push” on it and hopefully clear the decks considerably before I get stuck into any new projects. To this end I have come up with a fairly ambitious plan, I am not going to buy any new figures in 2017! Radical, yes, impossible, quite possibly, but hopefully not. This does not cover presents (though it is by birthday in two weeks’ time and I don’t plan on getting any for this), or does it cover any scenery items or supplies (brushes, paint etc..). Now I’ve had a look through the figures I have and I think I’m sorted for Mo’vember, Zomtober, Forgotten Heroes and March’sters of the Universe, so I can still take part in all these fun little side projects during the year, so we’ll see how this pans out over the next twelve months (it would be a great help if you lot would refrain from tempting me with gorgeous painted miniatures, so please bear this in mind on your own blogs, thank you).
Anyway enough talk more action, so as will hopefully happen on numerous occasions this year the old coins of fate were dragged out and the toss gave me a head and a tail (jolly good as I want my Very British Civil War, figures finished this year too) and the subsequent roll of the D20 gave me…
Box 10 – (5x 28mm Civilian Riflemen)
As I’m sure you all know by now these figures were produced by Irregular Miniatures, and to add a tiny bit of variation to my “horde” I sanded the heads on the two bareheaded chaps slightly before adding flat caps with a little greenstuff. They were then all glued onto tuppences, had their bases built up with filler and were whipped out into the garden for an undercoat of matt black.
Painting then ensued with the guns receiving a dry-brushing of chainmail to begin with. The stocks were then painted chocolate brown and highlighted with butternut. Turning to their trousers next undercoats of either dark grey, chocolate brown mixed with a little black of butternut mixed with coffee were laid down and these were then highlighted with blue grey, chocolate brown or coffee respectively. I also did a few of the caps at the same time. Shirts as always were either undercoated in coffee or blue grey then highlighted with cream or pale blue. Turning then to the “fleshy” bits an undercoat of European flesh was applied and after their eyes were added in black and white, a highlight was added in European flesh again this time mixed with a little pale flesh. The one chaps blazer was them painted in royal blue with a touch of black mixed in and highlighted with just royal blue. Boots, belts and baggage was then either painted black or chocolate brown and dark grey or leather highlights were then added to these. A couple of neckerchiefs were then added in either dark/pink burgundy or deep bronze green/light green, and finally I added their hair in chocolate brown, chestnut or citrus orange highlighted with chestnut, orange or lemon yellow respectively.
Next day they were all given a coat of Quickshade mid tone and the day after this the bases were first painted in chocolate brown before this was given a heavy dry-bushing of khaki and a lighter dry-brush with coffee, then areas were picked out in scenic green and these areas were then “flocked” with summer mix “hairy grass”. Finally they were sprayed with matt varnish.
Well that’s the first posting of 2017 out of the way, time to roll the die and coins of fate again…