As stated last week I have been working on my Scrunt Elites by Bob Olley, from his old Olley’s Armies range (these have now been sold on to someone else, but I’m not sure who, sorry). Anyway these appear on two of my painting lists but have the same number box on both, so…
Box 15 – (3x 28mm Scrunts, by Bob Olley of choice)
Now obviously I have more than three here (well more than six as there are more than two weeks’ worth), but as this is all the “Elites” I have I thought I might as well paint up seven instead of six (why do dwarves always come in sevens?). Anyway after a bit of industrious action on my part, I can report that all seven are now finished and I am back on track to get my selected figures finished in time for the end of Mo’vember, but on with the painting.
Now they were already based and undercoated in matt black so I began by dry-brushing chainmail over all the areas that would end up metallic, helmets, shoulder pads, guns etc… then blue grey was painted over the long overcoats they are all wearing, these were then highlight with a mix of this and a touch of white. Next I set to work upon their boots, belts and baggage, and all of this was first painted chocolate brown before I highlighted it with leather brown. Then turning to their faces, I undercoated all these with European flesh and then after their eyes were added in white and black, a highlight with continental flesh mixed with a little pale flesh. Then I added their beards, these were either dark grey highlighted with a mix of dark grey and white, chocolate brown with chestnut highlights, chestnut with orange highlights or dark sand with light sand highlights. The leader of my happy band has a cape on so this was undercoated in royal blue before it was highlighted in bright blue, and the fur collar was done in coffee and cream. Then it was just a case of adding some highlights on their guns pouches and helmet insignias with an undercoat of bronze and highlights of gold (well they are elites!), and the odd dot of luminous green to represent LED’s on their weapons. Then as these had to match in with the rest of my “Scrunts” they were given a wash over with a 50/50 mix of matt black and water, before their bases were painted scenic brown (again a change to my new method of chocolate brown but again they have to match the rest of their ilk! Before they were dry-brushed with khaki and coffee, then areas were picked out in scenic green that were then flocked with summer mix hairy grass.
Finally they went out for a coat of matt varnish and they were ready to take their places alongside the rest of my stout little chaps (and no there isn’t a group photo at the moment but I promise once I have the rest of them painted up I will do one, just don’t expect it for a while yet!). So back on track now and one more week to go, and next I’ll be going even shorter again! (oooh cryptic), so till next week, keep hiding the razor and, cheers Roger.
Please be sure and check out Simon Moore’s Mo’vember postings over at his excellent blog… http://fantorical.blogspot.co.uk/