Well much as I like spending time in the company of leather clad, zombie fighting “Uber vixens”, sadly this doesn’t do a lot to reduce the lead mountain that is sagging the rafters in my loft! So after last week’s self-indulgence I thought I’d better get the old nose back to the grindstone and do a “Roll of the die” posting this week, and as so often seems to be the case… a head and a tail popped into view after my tossing of the coins of fate. This meant of course, yet another pick from “Merlin” my “Very British Civil War” list, and the number that came up on the roll of the D20?
Box 2– (5x 28mm Civilian Riflemen)
I only have one more group of these to do after this lot, and only six more boxes to be crossed out on “Merlins” list altoether, so the end is really beginning to loom into sight now. But anyway, that won’t get paint onto this lot so it was back to it, and after they were glued to card spacers and then to tuppences, they had their bases blended in with filler before they were sprayed matt black, and away I went with the painting proper.
As usual I began with their weapons which were dry-brushed with chainmail, then I painted an undercoat over their trousers/jacket of either, chocolate brown and khaki, dark grey and light grey or deep bronze green. These were then highlighted with either khaki, light blue or a mix of khaki and deep bronze green. Next I painted in the shirts in coffee and cream and a couple of them had stripes added, one in pink burgundy and the other in light blue to add a little colour. Flesh next this was undercoated in European flesh and then after the eyes were added this was highlighted in a mix of continental flesh and pale flesh. The stocks of their rifles, the shoulder bags and their boots were then painted chocolate brown, the rifles highlighted with butternut and the bags and boots in leather brown. They all have neckerchiefs so these came next, royal blue with porcelain blue highlights, deep bronze green with stone green or dark red with pink burgundy taking care of these. I added the caps next these were either painted dark grey or chocolate brown then dry-brushed with light grey or butternut, then the checks were added in light blue or coffee. That just left the hair on the figures to be added, now as I have done quite a few of these chaps before I decided to limit their hair colour to either “brown” this was done in chocolate brown highlighted with chestnut brown or “Blonde” this was my two shades of sand (colour party and miniature paints), and they were ready to be quickshaded and based in my usual manner.
Probably not the most exciting post I’ve ever posted, but as I say we are now getting through these VBCW figures. Now as “Zomtober” is beginning to creep up on us again, I’ll probably just do another “Roll of the die” post next week before I immerse myself in the rising tide of the undead, for the weeks to follow.
So till next week, cheers Roger.