OK, well I’ve still not got my painting “mojo” back yet but I am at least starting to get back to my old self (if this is a good thing or not, you’d better ask my wife!), so I finally decided to dig out some figures to paint, so I turned to the old “Random painting generator” and tossed the coins of fate. A head and a tail later (Myles tells me that the way my system works makes a head/tail result more likely than a double head/tail, cause he knows this sort of thing), but anyway as I said a head and a tail later I was pulling out Merlins list as this meant another round of “Very British Civil War” figures. The following roll of the old D20 gave me a four and that equated too…
Box 20– (4x 28mm police riflemen & 1x police captain)
I was rather pleased with this result as the policemen are a pretty simple paint up really, but as I’d done these chaps before I thought I’d add a little variation to a couple of them, so out came the green stuff and I added a handlebar moustache to the leader, a beard to the chap “at the ready” and another beard to one of the shooters (this was a right pain to do so I held off adding to the other two, cowardice? You betcha!). Next they were based up on two pence pieces as per normal and after the bases were blended with Tetrion they were given firstly a spray coat of matt black and then a touching up (ooer misses!), with a brush of the same.
Right when it came to painting the boys in blue it was a bit of a case of “same old, same old” As we’ve been through this a few times now, first off they were given a heavy dry-brushing with royal blue next I painted in the wooden stocks of their rifles in chocolate brown and butternut, then out came the chainmail and with this I added the metallic parts of the guns along with the buttons and badges. Continental flesh was used as the base for the fleshy areas (but I’ve yet to highlight this). I touched up the boots and belts in black because as usual I’d been a bit messy with the blue before I highlighted them with dark grey and then I added their warrant “cuffs” in black and white (I think I’m going to have to get a stronger pair of glasses as I couldn’t really see to get these right). And that is where I’ve got up to with these chaps so far, sorry I had hoped to get them finished as I like to start a new lot of figures each week, so don’t usually leave you with a “work in progress”. I have messed about with the new “Forgotten Heroes” website a bit, and I’ve also finally added a blogroll to this site as well (look to the right to find this), as I had to add one to the other site so discovered how you do it.
This dose of sickness has really knocked me for six, but I really need to get back into my painting and sculpting before we start the challenge in June.
Till next week, cheers Roger.