Right first “proper” post of “He-month 2”, and not really a huge amount of progress to show you so far (though in my defense I didn’t really start these figures till Tuesday), but anyway I’ll go through what I’ve been up to over the last few days…
Tuesday began with me adding boots to the two “human” figures, “Man-at-arms” (or Duncan as I shall refer to him from now on as it’s shorter) had short boots up to his ankles as I will be adding his armored shin guards tomorrow, and of course his obligatory “furry pants” were also added to “cover his shame”. The “Sorceress” also had her boots added, a nice touch was that her feet were sculpted as if she is standing on her toes, so this allowed me to add the high heels to her boots as per the original. Now when it came to Orko I only had a tiny blob of “Greenstuff left so I just stuck in onto the top of the piece of wire as the base of his head (well it’s a start!). The two human figures were also stuck onto two pence pieces mainly so as I have something to hold while I sculpt onto them and hopefully keep my big stupid fingers off of the bits I’ve just finished!
On Wednesday I concentrated on the Sorceress adding her feathery boot tops, and her dress, this is mainly sculpted around her front and sides as the back didn’t need to be added as it will be covered with her cape/wings, I also attempted to add the feathering to the front of her dress bottom, how successful this was only time (and paint) will tell. Turning to Duncan, I added his wide metallic belt and his shin armour, basically tjhese were just sausages of putty that were smoothed and shaped around the relative bits. And then digging out Orko I just added a blob where his body would be (does he have a body, or is he just a floating shirt?) and added another layer of putty over his head to make it a little larger before adding his “teardrop” shaped eyes (I could have just painted these in, but decided that a guide as to where they are might prove helpful later on), and that was Wednesday.
Thursday was mainly spent finishing the three Frostgrave figures I also had on the go, but I’ll cover them more at the bottom of the page. As for as the Eternians I concentrated on Orko spreading and shaping some putty around his “body” before “dragging” some folds and ripples into it to give the impression that he’s floating forward. I nipped this in tightly around under his head as I’ll be adding his “scarf” around here after I add his arms. I did very little to the other two figures, just adding Duncan’s “muzzy” (yes he had to have a moustache, like the cartoon, even if the toy didn’t), and with the last bit of putty I added one side of the Sorceresses wings. This is just a base really for the inner part of her cape, as the finished item will be bigger and run from her wrist to her boot tops, but this is just a guide for the inner “sweep” of her wings, hopefully this will make more sense once I start adding the details.
And so we come to Friday, and starting again with Orko I first drilled two small holes into his shoulders before inserting small lengths of florists wire into them, and after I measured them and bent them to shape glued them in place. Once the glue had set I ran a thin sausage of greenstuff round his neck three times to form his scarf, and then added blobs to the end of his arms that were then shaped into his three fingered hands. Now turning to Duncan, I had to watch a couple of episodes of He-man on youtube to get a shot of the back of his costume before I started work on his body-armour, it turns out it’s just plain! Anyway once I knew this I could start spreading some putty around his torso and smoothing it out, I added lips at the bottom and around the shoulder openings for ease of painting later on. Now there is a raised section under his chin and a small cylinder under this, but I’ll add these later. Finally this week I added the folded other “wing” to the Sorceress ready for me to add the detail to them next week.
Now as I stated above I have also now finished the three “Frostgrave” figures I have been working on, to be honest they were almost there last week but I’ll go through what needed doing to finish them off. My wizard just needed a band running around the joint of his hat and brim and he was done (to coin a phrase “simples!”). Likewise my Barbarian just needed a thin sausage of greenstuff running along his left arm before a round wooden (well it’s actually metal, but you know what I mean) shield was added from my bits box, I think this came from “Irregular Miniatures” but I could be wrong. Lastly on him I added the two straps to the underside of this around his hand and upper wrist. You may notice that he currently has no weapon in his other hand, this is because though I have a weapon that may be suitable (an axe) I thought I’d wait to see what weapons I’m going to arm the rest of my happy band with, and see if there’s something that might be more suitable in with them. My apprentice needed a little more work doing to her, so I began by adding the detail around her staff so that it matched the wizards, and then adding tapered sausages of putty I gave the back of her cloak some folds and ripples. Lastly I added a hood folded back behind her head. This just left me to base up the figures with some “Tetrion” filler and they were all ready to be painted when Mo’vember comes, I still need to add the other four figures to my warband, but for now I’ll just bask in the feeling of accomplishment that these at least are now done.
Please keep checking back they can only get better (I hope!) and you can find my co-conspirator in this Jez’s efforts over at his blog, https://carrioncrowsbuffet.wordpress.com/
Till next week, cheers Roger.