Well I wasn’t able to buy the bits I needed to finish my islands this week so instead I thought I’d pull out the last few ships from my “Dystopian Wars Prussian Battle Group”, this consisted of four “Arminius Class frigates, and along with this I thought I’d also paint up the Blűcher Class Dreadnought that Myles had bought to go along with them last year. This would just leave the nineteen stands of aircraft that I have been putting off and putting off (and probably will continue putting off for as long as I possibly can, I just don’t fancy painting these), before I can set to work on the “Support Flotilla” I picked up at “Salute”. However as usual I’m getting ahead of myself, for now let’s just concentrate of the ships inhabiting my painting table this week.
As usual I started by my giving the bottoms of the ships a quick sand before I cleaned up the separate gun turrets of flash and mould lines, there was also a small pyramid shaped piece of superstructure that attached to the upper decking in front or behind the conning tower (actually there were two of these but as I planned to replace one with the optional Teslor generator I only fitted the forward one. As for the generator there was a choice of two different types of metal ones in the box, but being the fussy “B” that I am I didn’t really like either of them! There was however also a resin version that Myles couldn’t remember where it had come from, it is like a separate version of the ones moulded into the lower deck of the “Aircraft Carrier” I painted a couple of weeks ago, a nice clean casting that fitted flush to the deck, so as this was a bit on the thick side I gave it a good sanding and thinned it down by about a third before gluing it in place on the upper rear deck, much nicer in my opinion.
Then after the gun turrets were glued and “greenstuffed” into position it was out to the garage for a coat of Matt black. Once dry and touched up over any bit’s the spray didn’t reach the models were heavily dry-brushed with chainmail and then the decks were painted in using chocolate brown that was then highlighted with leather brown, Then (as I’m sure you are well aware by now) the hulls and the sides of the gun turrets were given an undercoat of dark grey before the diagonal lines were dry-brushed in using light grey and then black paint. Then the random “dots” were applied in coffee.
This just left me to add in the detailing in the usual places with a bit of bronze before they were given a liberal coat of Quickshade (strong tone) and a final coat of matt varnish. Looking down into the box containing all of my painted “Prussians”, it’s pleasing to see that there is now quite a reasonable little fleet emerging, I won’t however do the obligatory group shot until I’ve got the boats (and robots, we can’t forget the robots!), from my support flotilla completed, so you’ll just have to wait a while yet.
While I was beavering away at this little lot Myles has now also finished his Arronax (eventually), this is basically a large mechanical subterranean worm (though you can also use it on the high seas apparently, and has now set to work on his own Dreadnought, I really can’t complain too much as his camouflage pattern is so much more complicated to do than mine, (I still will though). I’m off work next week so I hope to be able to have another good go at those islands again, hopefully even get them finished so we can get a game in with them by the end of the week, but the best laid plans of mice and men as they say.
Oh and before I go I did promise to get the rest of my cowboys Quickshaded by this weekend, and true to my word, I have (have I ever let you lot down, don’t answer that!). So here’s a picture of the rest of my western guy’s and gal’s (well girl as mine is a one girl town, she’s very popular I bet!!)
Till next week, Cheers Roger.