The thing with having a randomly generated set of figures to paint each week is that it is just that “random”, so I suppose it shouldn’t have really come as a surprise (after tossing the coin and getting tails “Galahad” again) that the two numbers that came up on the die both referred to 25/28mm fantasy figures, I have done most of my gaming in these scales after all. Anyway the exact numbers and figures were…
Box 4 (3x 28mm fantasy figures (of my choice))
Box 7 (3x 25mm fantasy townsfolk (of my choice))
As both of these draws contain more than a weeks worth of painting I’ve decided to allow myself the choice of any three of what is left in the draw at the time of picking, the box will remain uncrossed off until all the figures therein are painted and can come up again (hope this makes sense).
All the figures were cleaned up and based up either on two pence pieces or 20mm squares of cardboard. They were then undercoated in matt black.
The first two ladies are both by “Games Workshop” and I bought them in one of the excellent sales they used to have in their shops now and again, not for any specific reason but just because I liked them and they were cheap. The Elven lady I decided would have a dark turquoise cape, over silver and gold armour inset with emeralds. The Dwarven lady I did in navy blue and copper/silver armour, her shield is one of my many old plastic GW ones from way back when, to get the boss in the middle (as it just had a hole and the “lump” on her arm was flat topped), I put a blob of superglue on her arm “lug” then set a small ball of greenstuff on top of this, then pushed the shield over that so it was forced through the hole and then shaped it into a dome.
The chap comes from “I-cores”, “Celtos” range (now Brigade). A nice figure he does suffer from the common “Kev White” sculpt problems of “Cricket bat” sword syndrome and standing with his legs as far apart as possible, chafing must be a real problem in “Celtos’s” setting! I decided to give him a kilt (I hate painting these!) so started with a bronze green undercoat on his skirt, copper and silver was next on his armour, then flesh. His shield was added as on the Dwarf, and I thought I’d paint a celtic style dragon on the front, finally I added the red and yellow lines to his kilt. I’m pretty happy with how the three of then came out, another group that had languished in my set of draws for many, many years.
The two townsfolk figures are from a “Mega miniatures” pack that I have been slowly working my way through for many a year too, they are actually 25mm tall so unfortunately don’t mix with many newer ranges but are still nice figures. The “Thug” was really easy to paint, Leather jerkin cream shirt and grey hose (nothing complicated here!). The “Witch too was pretty straightforward, blue/grey dress and dark blue hat. I know her cat should really just be black but I couldn’t resist adding white “felix” markings (as three of our eight cats look like that).
Finally I picked a “pirate captain” who though in the same pack as the others two townsfolk figures is actually 28mm tall, quite a bit bigger than the others. This does however mean that he fits perfectly with the un-dead pirates I did a few weeks back so he was based on a two pence piece accordingly. I thought I’d give him a red jacket (simply because I hope at some point to get Irregulars pirates and there is one similar to this but with a hook, and I can see him in a blue jacket). Cream shirt, grey pants, leather brown belts and black hat and boots finished him off.
All the figures were then “Quickshaded” had their bases painted in the appropriate colours, flocked and then given a coat of matt varnish. Only six figures but with each one being an individual, they did take longer than a unit of all the same colour, so not a bad weeks work all in all.
Oh well time to roll again….