First off apologies for the lateness of this posting, as I mentioned in a reply to my last post my father had been taken into hospital with a minor complaint, however a week last Thursday he died of a coronary failure while still in hospital, this came as a complete shock and we have spent the last two weeks trying to sort out his affairs. This has meant as I’m sure you can imagine that blogging and wargaming have been the last things on my mind. However I have now finished the figures that I started three weeks ago as part of my random generated painting scheme. These were numbers 2 and 16, and equated to what I had left of the 28mm pulp sci-fi figures that Matt of “Hydra Miniatures” had been kind enough to send me a while back, and the dregs that I had left of the “Aeronef” fleets I had started again a long while ago from “Wessex Games” and “Brigade Models”, luckily these are all really nice models so were a joy to paint up (but a lot of them are “floating” which is a bit of a pain!).
Starting with the Hydra stuff, I have the “Buster Gordi” limited edition figure, which I decided to paint up as a tribute to the old Flash Gordon “filmaction” cartoon of my youth so orange top and blue pants (with gold stripe) were called for along with the ubiquitous blonde “do”. Bases on him and the robots below were done in chocolate brown with a dry-brush of terracotta, a light dry-brush of coffee and a sprinkling of red decorative sand(this came from a florists supply shop, I don’t know what florists do with it though!) The five little “floaty” crab robots were painted up in the same colours as my “Robot Rebels” force (I’ll do a picture of them all one day), in an unusual twist to normal I completed the bases first then set the clear rod into said base and then painted the robots themselves separately before gluing then on at the end, finally I varnished them (with a small roll of paper wrapped round the rod so it didn’t get varnished to a dull finish. The “Vardu” plant creatures I painted up in various greens and lilacs before basing then up in my usual green colour scheme (these might end up as henchmen to a “Poison Ivy” type villain in our Superhero games). All the above were given a coat of Quickshade before basing and varnishing.
The “nef’s” I decided would be added to my existing fleets, so the first thing was to cut MDF bases for them, I use these bigger bases to try and make them more stable and less likely to fall and get damaged (with limited success I have to say) I marked the original hexagonal base corners on for working out turning etc.. The gun platform and small “nef’s” were painted up in my British Royal Navy colours of red hulls and yellow funnels, while the “dirigible” style “nef” was added to my Russian fleet, so a darker grey with red funnels and tail plane (with gold star) were in order. The planes had been languishing in the draw as I dreaded basing the darn things up! In the end I drilled small holes in the bottom of each plane (with much foul language I’ll add!) and a corresponding hole in the MDF base, all six were then attached using florists wire before they were painted up. I gave them generic blue tail planes as I don’t want them specific to any particular fleet, but instead can be used with any I see fit. All of the above were finished with a wash of thin black paint, before being sprayed with matt varnish. In order to stop the matt varnish “clouding” the clear “poles” of the flying stands they too were wrapped in a small roll of paper (as shown) before spraying.
Well, let’s see what the thirty sided mistress of chance throws my way this week.