Wow what a week! I am shattered; as is everyone else at work thankfully we only have one more week to go until we’re off for a week. But first I have to get through a dreaded week of nights with overtime each night. But anyway enough whinging and on to the figures, well they’re finished! (Hooray!!), I’m even reasonably happy with the end result. In a moment of madness I decided to paint all ten at once, though by the middle of the week I was thinking about pushing five off to the side and concentrating on the other five, but in the end I decided this wasn’t going to save mw that much time so carried on with all ten hence the lateness of this post. I used another of Myles’s Ork building as backdrops to the photo’s, sorry about the quality of some of these (pictures not buildings).
I decided that the best way to make the figures multi-usage (and because I promised Blaxcleric) was to paint them in a blue/grey camo pattern with pale grey armour over the top, this way they could be used as either a futuristic SWAT team, urban military uniformed troops or the afore mentioned combat arm of SHIELD’s (JAVELIN) anti “supervillian” squad.
The figures were first spray undercoated black, and dry-brushed chain mail over the metal bits, then light grey was applied to the armoured areas and blue-grey to the under suit. The camo splodges were added in royal blue and white. The gaiters and wrist bands were done in dark grey with light grey highlights; the flesh was painted either dark flesh tone, medium flesh tone or chocolate brown and highlighted in the same colour lightened with a touch of white. The armour was then highlighted with a light grey/ white mix. Their shoulder badges were painted in a three piece pie design of red white and blue. All the lights on their helmets and guns were painted a day-glow light green.
Once this was all completely dry the figures were given a coat of mid-tone army painter quickshade, and once this was dry (which seem like forever!!) the bases were painted up in my normal colours of chocolate brown, with khaki and coffee dry-brushing, then some areas painted grass green and flocked. The whole lot were then sprayed with a coat of matt varnish and they were done (and so for that matter was I!).
So now that all twenty EM-4 plastic minis are finished what conclusion have I reached? Well I think the figures have generally turned out better than I originally thought they would, and if you are prepared to put in a little effort I would heartily recommend them to anyone who wants to field some interesting and individual looking figures on a budget, I have thoroughly enjoyed messing about with them (most of the time anyway), for more inspiration on doing your own conversions check out the “Combat zone Chronicles” at…. http://combatzonechronicles.net/
I have no idea what I’m going to do next, something simple probably, I might try and clear some of the numerous figures I’ve bought over the years and never painted.
Roger, Well worth the wait and love the camo. Good pictures too, though as both launchers are face on its hard to see what problem you thought you had with the overlong arms (did you do that on purpose) 🙂 That’s 10 stonkingly good future SHIELD agents you’ve got there, with the last photo probably being my favourite. Hopefully we’ll see a battle report at some point with them. Intrigued by what your next project is now (isn’t that always the way). Take care.
Thanks Simon, no I didn’t take the pictures like that to hide the long arms on the SMAW’s (I’m not that smart) it just happened that way, shame as I’d have prefered if you could see my shameful failure (sob). You’re intregued, so am I! I might take a leaf out of your book and roll a dice to see what I do next, I think it will be a paint job only (no greenstuff). I’ll have to have a proper think while I’m off, take stock and plan what to do next.
Cheers Roger. (p.s. off to your blog now as only had a couple of quick peeks on my phone while at work last week).